Monthly Archives: July 2003

Cool Upgrades

  • Database:
    • added table for counting clikthrus out of site
    • added table for counting HTTP_REFERRERs into the site
  • Libraries:
    • renamed hit_tracking.php to stats_tracking.php
    • add clikThruCount() method
    • added redirect script for counting clikthrus
    • modified Counter() method to track HTTP_REFERRERs
  • Main Pages:
    • added search capability
    • renamed “home” topic to “blather”…. since it’s kindof the catch all blog topic

Tuesday Modifications

  • Database:
    • wrote a script to strip the slashes out of my database. slashes were icky.
    • cleaned all code of unneccesary slash stripping.
  • Admin Tools:
    • made main admin page reflect topics for news entries
    • news edit and adding uses topics for ease of navigation
  • Main Pages:
    • added “next/prev” navigation for individual viewing of entries.
    • changed layout of “next/prev” on multi-view(default view)
    • display time zone

Original System Notes

I originally wrote this website software to run on a crappy HP-UX box that only had PHP ver. 3.0.8 or something. It was horribly outdated for its time even. That was September 25, 2001. Nearly 2 years ago. Anyway… I started first by trying to implement the database with DBM. DBM sucks. I didn’t try that for long at all. After that I decided to just use flat text files with custom delimiters and a small API for accessing and updating the data in those files. That’s probably why I didn’t spend a lot of time writing admin pages at the time; the parsing of all that text got ugly fast.

The transition to an SQL (mysql) database came on Feb 4, 2002. (see that day’s post). Finally, the data was managable. Since, then, well, I’ve not done TOO much until recently. I’m just writing this into the system log so I’ll remember some stuff. Oh, and if you notice lots of dates and times of Feb 4, 2002, 23:48:38, that’s when I moved all the original data. I changed the date of the original news postings but not the time, and I didn’t bother to change the date on most of the quotes (because I didn’t previously store quote dates).

updates to the custom PHP codebase

This week I’ve made several major and minor changes to the website code. I’ll start keeping track of what I do here. It’s high time I know what I do when with this site. 🙂

  • Database:
    • Added hit counter tables
    • Added an order column for topics
    • Added link table
    • changed date fields in links and quotes to datetime fields
  • Libraries:
    • Added Date_Calc class library for better handling of dates and formatting of dates. (File: Calc.php)
    • Used in new code, haven’t yet retrofitted old code to use.
    • Added Counter function for tracking visits to each page and direct visits to articles. (File: hit_counter.php)
    • Added my_escape_SQL_single_quote function for cleaner data in database.
      (File: my_utils.php)

    • Added functions for clean date formatting. (File: my_utils.php)
  • Admin Tools:
    • Improved robustness and error checking on news posting code.
    • Eliminated code that was putting slashes into my database by instead passing database bound strings through my_escape_SQL_single_quote.
    • Added quote management tools
    • Added link management tools
    • Added topic management tools
  • Main Pages:
    • Modified CSS. Now is a bit cleaner and is more consistent in handling of hovers for A HREF’s, plus added that nice red glow on hover.
    • Cleaned up some HTML errors in templates and did some minor reformating.
    • Changed header from silly fade thing to big bold thing that can be changed with out massive formatting headache.
    • Unified code template for news topics (index.php) and others (quotes.php, links.php, photos.php)
    • Added permalink ability. Figured it’s about time that people can link to a specific entry on my site.
    • Removed my “hidden” link to “All Quotes” page and replaced with a clearly labled “more quotes” link.
    • Added a “links” side section with full links page and “more links” link.
  • Added This Changelog!