I’ve been a bit obsessive this week as I’ve been trying to research and find a new camera that I would really like. The last one died last weekend… so we were facing the trip home for Christmas with no camera! Before Beaumin was born, not having a camera for a few weeks would have been a non-issue, but now, we take multiple pictures a day!
I talked with several friends who are way more “camera geeky” than I am… I’m pretty ignorant of photography for the most part, but I wouldn’t mind learning a bit more. So I only had a few basic criteria:
- Pretty decent low-light (indoor) photos
- Use AA batteries (I really like having easy access to spares in a pinch)
- Some advanced features so I can learn more if I get motivated
Not required but very nice to have items were:
- Big optical zoom (because its really nice)
- Viewfinder (because sometimes glare just makes LCDs useless)
- Semi-fast flash recharge
It was soon obvious that I was looking for an “Advanced Point and Shoot” for which a few of the top players were Nikon’s P80 and Canon’s SX10 IS. I have some friends who are die-hard Nikon fans and others who are die-hard Canon fans, so this was tricky.